The following trophies are presented to the class by Ballyholme Yacht Club, the current home of the Waverley Class.
The Savage Cup
The Savage cup was presented to Ballyholme Yacht Club on 12th November 1968 by Miss Betty Savage as a perpetual challenge trophy in memory of her father, the late James Hamilton Savage J. P.. The trophy was offered for “Competition in the Waverley Class as long as the Class is organised within B.Y.C. It would not be permitted to go outside the club.” James Savage was the owner of Talisman from 1918 to 1927, he was a member of the Ballyholme Sailing Club and a founder member of Ballyholme Yacht Club of which he was a committee member.
The cup is presented for the Early Season points series.
The Faulkner Cup
The Faulkner Challenge cup was presented to Ballyholme Yacht Club by James A Faulkner in 1939. He was, at that time, the Rear-Commodore of the club.
The cup is awarded to the Waverley class for the winner of the Late Season points series.
The Waverley Cup
The Waverley cup was presented by Douglas Cooper, the then owner of Waverley and Commodore of Ballyholme Yacht Club, in 1967, as a perpetual challenge cup. The cup to be awarded to the boat with the highest points in all races sailed under the B.Y.C. burgee during the season. No drops to be allowed in the calculation for the winner.
The Todd Cup
The Todd cup was presented to Ballyholme Yacht Club in 1933, as a perpetual challenge trophy, by Robert Todd, the then owner of Rowena. The trophy was initially sailed for by the Waverley Class but has been awarded to other classes at times over the years when there were insufficient numbers of Waverleys racing at Ballyhome for the cup to be presented. From 1961 to 1968 the trophy was awarded to the winner of the Early Season points series, since then it has been awarded for the annual Round the Lough Race, traditionally held on 12th July. Twelve of the eighteen Waverleys have their names on this trophy.
The 70th Anniversary Trophy
This trophy is an engraved copper plaque (14” x 101/2 “) mounted on a hardwood board. The trophy was commissioned by the Owners to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the class.
The trophy is awarded annually to the winner of a race consisting of three completed rounds of B.Y.C. courses.
The 60th Anniversary Cup
The 60th Anniversary Cup was presented by Martin Imrie for a special race from Ballyholme to Whitehead to commemorate this anniversary. Unfortunately the race had to be cancelled due to very strong Southerly winds. It was eventually held later in the 1963 season at Ballyholme and won by Rob Roy. The then owners of Rob Roy, John Simms and John White, re-presented the cup the following season and since then it has been awarded to the first Waverley home in the Lufra Cup race on Closing Day.
The Lilias Trophy
The Lilias trophy was presented to Ballyholme Yacht Club by Desmond M. Irwin, in 1972. The trophy is sailed for by the Waverley Class and is awarded to the boat with the greatest number of points gained during the season, at Belfast Lough Conference regattas.
Desmond Irwin was a former, and very successful, owner of Lilias and a past Commodore of Ballyholme Yacht Club.
The Fathers Cup
The Fathers Cup was presented to the Waverley Class Association on the 90th Anniversary of the class in 1993 by John and Margaret Ravey, in honour of their fathers, James I. Jones and Alfred Ravey, who had been instrumental in the rejuvenation of the class in the 1960s. The first winner of the cup was Robert Douglas, owner of Waverley.
The cup is now presented, whenever appropriate, to a member who has been of special service to the class.
It has been awarded to Barbara West-Hurst, for keeping the class going through lean years (2001). John McCrea for his work in making the centenary season so successful (2003) and to Alex Reid for his contribution to the class by bringing Nigel back to specification (2005).